13 April 2009

Rita Haystack

Thought I'd better add some pictures of our new kitty...


(two calicos, one all gray, one orange, and one gray w/ white)


The story is...some friends (Cathy and Terry Garten) were moving some hay in their yard to a different spot and uncovered a litter of five kittens, who were just starting to open their eyes. The vet said that puts them at about a week old. After the hay was moved, the mama cat wouldn't come back to her crying babies. So our friends took them in and fed them, and found loving homes for all of them. We picked the calico runt...what a sweetie!



Rita loves to nap on our necks and ride around in hoodie sweatshirts.


Then the name...we have a Melba and Caldwell...and considered Marie Diane (Meridian) or Ada (county) or Ida(ho). Then Ron suggested "Haystack..." I was looking in the baby name book and saw that "Worth" means from the farm, and "Rita" means pearl. Bingo! We have a winner :D Rita Hayworth or Rita Haystack either way, she's a little bombshell!






The girls are doing a great job feeding her and helping her go potty. We don't mind when she pins us down on the couch for a little nap either. Melba wants to play with her, but doesn't want Rita to touch HER. And Caldwell, who always looked like a wimpy cat before but now looks like a monster next to the kitten, mostly avoids her.



4 comments:

Patina said...

Toni, I love Rita! She is so cute. Of course kittens are my weakness!

Merrilee Stevenson said...

(Sigh!) You guys have THREE pets now? And I thought we were doing well with the two goldfish. (Which both died, by the way.) I'd better not let Enoch look at these pictures. He wants to get a real pet (a dog). I told him once we get out of debt we'll be able to afford another mouth to feed, and we'll name it CASH. (But he's not buyin' it.)

Kelly said...

She's so teeny tiny. Do you think my sneezes would be smaller too? :)

brenda sue said...

Little Rita is precious! And she found a really good home!