05 March 2009

Rag Quilts

I added these pictures to my facebook, but forgot to add them to the blog...So here is Amy using her great grandma's sewing machine for her very first sewing project. Grandma Misey had scratched CAM (for Clarence Arthur Misenhimer) on the front of her Singer, and several years ago Amy added a "Y" so it would spell her name too :D What a kid!



We spotted this rag quilt pattern at church when some of the ladies donated several to City Light, a local women's shelter. They are made with flannel material, and oh so very cozy!



We cut out 9" squares and sandwiched a 7" square batting (fleece in mine) between two pieces of flannel by sewing an X across them. After all the Xs were sewn, we sewed the squares together: Amy randomly, mine in a pattern. Then we clipped all the edges just before sewing all four panels together--heard it was easier to juggle it in sections than totally sewn together. Then we washed and dried them a couple times so they would unravel a bit...the fun part was bouncing and shaking it on the trampoline, and watching all the "chaff" fly off :D



Mine was 13 x 15 rows, Amy's 12 x 12.



It was so fun and easy, and don't you think they look great?! We're ready to make another, and Holly is ready to make one too.

2 comments:

Merrilee Stevenson said...

Man, oh MAN! I love 'em! That photo of Amy and her gorgeous blue eyes is worth money! I like how the fray looks ruffly--just the right touch of femininity. COME OVER HERE AND MAKE ONE WITH ME!

Kelly said...

I love that picture of Ms. Amy. Didn't she give hers to the boy?
How did I miss these pictures on Facebook? Blame it on the head injury! :)